In a recent trip to Codemasters HQ in Southam, The Game Jar learned more about RaceNet: its upcoming optional, online hub which will link all Codemasters’ games and accounts together across consoles and Steam.
It should come as no surprise that RaceNet will track “every tiny statistic about what players get up to in the game, allowing you to build up a list of friends and compare your performance to theirs over time.” Codemasters wants to know more about its customers and determine how to keep them happy.
RaceNet will be free to access and will go live some time between now and May 1, along with a DiRT Showdown playable demo. For signing up players will get RaceNet Livery and $20,000 in virtual currency, which can be accessed in DiRT Showdown. Those who sign up during the demo phase can access community challenges based around the demo and receive a RaceNet “Founder Status” Award and a RaceNet XP Boost.
RaceNet will also hold a challenge to tie into the launch of the demo, where players race to drain a tanker of 300,000,000 barrels of fuel. If people drive enough, all who took part in the challenge will get a badge of honor for their RaceNet profile.
The first features of RaceNet were listed days ago on Video Gamer:
Features available May 1:
- RaceNet sign up and RaceNet account creation.
- Link RaceNet account to a PSN, Xbox Live or STEAM ID.
- Contribute and track progress towards community challenges.
- Gain access to RaceNet community through forums.
- Unique ‘Founder Status’ RaceNet Award and a RaceNet XP boost for anyone signing up during the demo.
- All Codemasters Racing games that are RaceNet enabled will be automatically connected in future.
Features from May 25:
- Weekly RaceNet Events for DiRT Showdown.
- Regular general community events.
- Add other RaceNet users as Friends and import your Friends from PSN / XBL / Steam
- Link your Facebook and Twitter accounts to your Race Profile
- View Driver Profile page and track your progress across all RaceNet enabled games in one place.
- View your Showdown career progress on RaceNet and compare and share your progress with others.
- Link your YouTube account to view uploaded YouTube movies from Showdown on Racenet.
We’ll post again when RaceNet goes live.